Wednesday, April 25, 2012

If It's Not Broke, DON'T FIX IT!!!!

This will be the 3RD summer we have had our house here at North Ranch near Congress, AZ. We leave the A/C on 89* when we leave and with the place all closed up it doesn’t have to run very often but we know it runs some. This house is extremely well insulated and the A/C unit is well sized, but we figured that just for safety’s sake, it would be a good idea to have it serviced. We definitely don’t want it to quit while we are gone.  Although Paul and Nancy check the place quite often and I’m sure they would notice it right away, we decided to do some preventative maintenance. So we called the local A/C service company that was highly recommended to us and they came out and checked the unit out. They even got up in the attic and checked the air exchanger.  The repairman gave us a perfect bill of health and said the unit was working fine.  OK, got that taken care of, now we shouldn’t have to worry about that!

It just so happened that a couple days after we had the unit serviced, it turned unusually HOT. I seldom ever turn the air on, like I said this house is so well insulated and with the ceiling fans we just don’t need it. But about happy hour time it was really warm.  I had been working hard getting this Rampage motorcycle loader ready to ship back East.  So I decided since we just had the A/C all checked out, I’d fire it up and cool the place down a little. I fired it up, it kicked on fine and was blowing away. I went back out in my “man cave” and was thinking “It will be cool in there in a few minutes” as it doesn’t take it long to really cool that place down.  Hmmm, I went back in about 10 minutes and WOW, it didn’t feel as if it was cooling at all.  I checked the thermostat and yep, I had it set right. Must be my imagination but I swear the thing is not working.  Oh come on, it has to be working, we just spent $70.00 to make sure it was working!!

Maybe it needs some more time, it is really HOT.  It was 95*, the hottest day of the year and a record breaker. So I waited a while longer, Ms. Pat came home from a project she has been working on and she asked “Why is it so HOT in the house?  The A/C doesn't seem to be working."  I told her “Oh....it's got to be working....we just had it checked out and it's working”!   Well, I got my Infrared Dot Laser thermometer that I use on the RV tires, axles, etc. and measured the temp of the air coming out of the A/C ducts.  Ugh!  Bad news! It wasn’t workin!!  Of course that was Saturday evening.  We spent a HOT night trying to sleep and all the time I’m muttering a few choice words like “If it ain’t broke, DON'T FIX IT”!   Sunday was another HOT one and just for the heck of it, we tried to call the service company on Sunday.  No answer…of course, didn’t really expect one.  Did you ever notice how these things always happen on the weekend? Always!! 

Sunday evening and night was another scorcher...we had fans blowing everywhere.  I almost went and slept in the Motorhome. In the wee hours of the morning, it starts cooling off, then until about 9-10 o’clock it's fine.  Monday morning at 7:15 am, we called the service company.  We didn’t really expect an answer but sure enough…they answered.  Told them the problem and he said “ I have a man working just a couple blocks away, I’ll have him come right over”! WOW, that was a piece of luck.  I figured we might have to wait a day or two.  A short time later, Brandon came over and started working on our unit and it wasn’t long until he said, ”I found the problem, a capacitor went out”. “I have one in the truck”.  Funny how that thing went out just after they checked it all out like that. I’m the suspicious type....but I suppose things like that happen.  It could have been weak and the testing did something that made it go out. Just as well now than later, when we are 1200 miles away.  So we're COOL again!!   Boy does it feel good!!

P1030268
When Al and Kelly from Bayfield Bunch stopped to see us a while back, I asked Al if he had any trouble finding us.  "Heck no",  he said, "they have a sign painted on the street right out in front of your house “MPH” -- Mike and Pat's House!!"  I thought that was pretty clever!
Smile
It is a GREAT WEEK!!!!

We are so happy to report that we received a call yesterday and a few emails from our "kids", Rollie and Gina, that their daughter Ashley, had given birth to a beautiful baby girl!! Jolee Adair Jenkins came into the world tipping the scale at 7 lb. 14oz. Our love and congratulations go out to them all.   Wow.....another Great Grandbaby....we are so BLESSED!!  Praise the Lord!!

Respect

Mike


This Blog is Published every Wednesday and Sunday..

11 comments:

butterbean carpenter said...

Howdy g-g-ma Pat & g-g-pa Mike,

CONGRATULATIONS!!! TELL'EM THEY CAN WRITE ANOTHER BLOG...BRAGGING...ON...
THE...NEWEST AND SEND PICS OF BOTH!!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

Al Bossence said...

I'm like you Mike, I'm always suspicious of things like that. In this day & age if someone isn't suspicious about things like that they are way out of touch with the modern age. And with those 95 & 100 degree temps already, one doesn't need any sneaky stuff going on to get one hotter under the collar than one already is.....10-4!!

Allen DuGuay said...

Just hate when things like that happen on the weekend, glad it was an easy fix though. Congratulations to you both on the birth of your Great Grand Daughter. Not a bad sign to have in front.

Happytrails said...

Glad you were able to get the AC fixed before you left the area.

Congratulations on the new baby!! How exciting to have a new baby in the family!! Please send Rollie and Gina our congratulations!!! :-)

Kevin and Tracy (a.k.a. kcgaz) said...

Congratulations to you guys...we are a ways away from Grandchildren, but are looking forward to that blessing some day!

Paul and Marsha Weaver OCT. 17, 2009 said...

Egads...we both never noticed the speed painted on the street in front of your house, AND we walked there.
Please pass on our Congratulations to the kids. How wonderful to have another baby in the family. They just seem to keep us young!

Anonymous said...

when you are gone a system like this really works nice. More so with freeze ups than overheating, but a lot of snowbirds have them. Temperature Guard Home Temperature Monitor Alarm VM500-3

Sue and Doug said...

I have to agree..if it ain't broke don't fix it!..glad to hear that it was a quick fix!..and congrats on the new 'addition'!

Sherry and Charley Dilworth said...

Congratulations on the new addition to your family!! And so glad you got your AC fixed. That kind of heat would have done me in!! And I do love the MPH detour!!

Phyllis said...

EEK! In the 90's and no A/C. Not a great shape to be in for sure.

The Good Luck Duck said...

Suspicious, indeed! Like when you take your car to the mechanic for routine maintenance and then things break. Or, like when you go in for your yearly physical, and then your cholesterol goes up. Fishy, if you ask me.

Roxanne
The Good Luck Duck

[Paddled over from the Bayfield Bunch's blog.]